Saturday, July 16, 2011

False Start

Earlier this week I watched the documentary "Fat, Sick And Nearly Dead" which follows a rich Aussie businessman named Joe through a 60 day juice-fast/cross-country road trip. The flick was inspiring, mostly because of  its barrage of  trade show-like meet and greets between Joe and his  fellow fatties who know what's wrong with them, but are unwilling or unable to change their lifestyle.


I froze the screen at a screen-cap for Joe's "Mean Green" juice recipe (bunch of kale, 1 cucumber, 4 celery stalks, 2 granny smith apples, ginger, 1/2 lemon), and over the week bought the ingredients for it. I decided to break in slowly. Tonight I planned to drink "mean green" in lieu of  a dinner entree - which kinda sucked because I served my wife dijon & red wine braised short ribs that I made yesterday.

So after serving up the evil, luscious, red meat, I brought out my cheap, aroma-brand juicer for the first time in 9 years. The last time I used it, I juiced 10 red peppers to make a risotto fit for a vampire. It was a pain in the ass, so I put it on the shelf and into exile.   At the start of its reintroduction, the juicer was slow. The hole to put stuff in is very narrow, and i decided to put the ginger in before finishing the last of the apples.

Whoops. The ginger killed the juicer. Unless it just overheated, I blew the motor on it. I drank the result anyway, which was a little too heavy on the cucumber for my taste.  It's also kinda sitting in my stomach like a steak, which is kinda strange.

At any rate,  my juice fast is on  hold, unless I decide to use my blender to make smoothies instead. This may be the way to go as I can't say I understand the science of dumping the fiber from any diet - as fiber is indigestible and fills you up. But then again, Science was never my strong point. Writing and Music is. So we'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment